Year of Residency: 2019
- 2015 Seattle University. M.F.A., Arts Leadership
- 2010 Metropolitan State University. B.A., Sociology and Intermedia Arts
Exhibitions and Performances
- 2018 Sources of Light: Phase III, Millers and Rossi, Denver, CO
- 2018 ÁUREAS: Refleçcoes duma Segonha, INATEL, Gaëlle Pelachaud, Maria Sarmento, curated by Foundation Obras, Évora, Portugal
- 2017 Object 2, Castelo de Evoramonte, curated by Foundation Obras, Evoramonte, Portugal Sense I: Abstr/Action + Senses i-v, Comfort Station, Chicago, IL (solo) A Dream Play, High Concept Laboratories, directed by Matthew Ozawa Chicago, IL Deneb + Cygnus OB2-12, Studio 677, Saint Paul, MN (solo)
- 2016 Sources of Light: Phase II, Comfort Station, Chicago, IL
- 2015 Sources of Light: Phase I, The Chapel Performance Space, curated by Nonsequitur and Steve Peters, Seattle, WA
- 2014 Biological Humanity, Seattle Design Center, Seattle, WA
- 2012 All Souls Day, Studio 677: Strange Attractors Festival 24, Johnny Rodriguez, curated by David Means, Saint Paul, MN Medicine Plants/Medicine People, Studio 677, curated by David Means, Saint Paul, MN
- 2011 Weather Report II, Patrick’s Cabaret, Minneapolis, MN ( solo) The False Laura C. Bianchie II, Studio 677, Saint Paul, MN (solo)
- 2010 Heavy Focus III/Setttings, The Medusa, Minneapolis, MN
Scholarships, Grants and Commissions
- 2017 Spring Artist Sponsorship | A Dream Play, High Concept Laboratories, Chicago, IL Solo Artist Commission |Deneb + OB2-12, Metropolitan State University, Saint Paul, MN
- 2015 GSC Grant | MFA Thesis: Sustainability in the Arts: Anchorage, AK, Seattle University, Seattle, WA
- 2012 Solo Artist Commission |Medicine Plants/Medicine People, Metropolitan State University, Saint Paul, MN
- 2007 SPAN Scholarship | Street Art and the Banking Crash: Buenos Aires, Argentina, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- “Disparate Conjunction” Cacophony Magazine, Chicago, IL – September,
- 2017 “Sources of Light II + Seattle Spirals” The Stranger, Seattle, WA – November 2015
I’m an interdisciplinary artist using a wide-range of mediums and applications. My focus is, making performance-installations with an unnerving and psychological tone. This type of work is based in real-time and it is site-specific. It looks splintered, like experimental tests with disparate elements. Abstracted noises, collaged and pixelated video of movement. My range of work often includes: images on paper, high-contrast black and white photos, live electronics and performance-the human and environmental. I use tape recorders, projectors, film cameras, graphite, pigments and field recordings. I assemble objects with locally sourced artifacts-this includes sounds. These elements represent moments, from the “sites” and they become critical characters in performance-installations.
My process is spontaneous, highly intuitive and illogical. Themes surface as memories, dreams fictional characters and how the conditions of light and dark operate in physiological and physical terms. I explore sense perception and question how memory contributes to human narratives. In a sense, looking deeply at these conditions reveal their contours. Space and time take on new measurements, extending and contracting. Yet, I consider more recognizable, formal concerns of scale, color and shape.
It’s not enough to produce work in the city I live in, far more-so the importance of expanding the reach and impact of my work is paramount to my drive as an artist- this takes the shape creating in new regions of the world. The work itself speaks and I listen, meaning new projects spawn instantly from one to the next. Though the true motivation I get is from the ever-shifting activities that surround me and the people who come and go in my life.
Articles and Reviews
Matthew’s website – Visit.